Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Allergist aka "Dr. Itsallyourfault"

On August 4th, Ella had her appointment with an allergist. I'm all for a doctor exhibiting extreme professionalism and if that means no warm-fuzzies then so be it. However, when said doctor does not even look me in the eyes or acknowledge that my child (aka his PATIENT) is even in the room, I don't exactly feel that I should take his "professional" opinion very seriously.

Reasons why this allergist sucked:

a) He rolled his eyes when he asked what kind of formula she was on and I replied "None. We're breastfeeding."

b) When he came in to give me the results from her skin test, Ella had FOUR welts on her arm but he only said she was allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts... yes, that's only THREE.



From the top (L to R):

Natural Milk, Commercial Milk

Natural Egg, Commercial Egg

Peanut, Corn

Histamine, Saline



c) When I questioned how she could be allergic to all of those things when I eat all of them & she's never had a reaction to my breastmilk, his reply was "Well, if you'd cut all of those things out of your diet we wouldn't be having this conversation right now." Thanks, dude. You're so very helpful and I appreciate you making me feel like the absolute WORST mother on the planet right now.

d) After delivering the news that my 10 month old is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts, he gives me a prescription for an EpiPen, says "don't feed her any of those things" and "come back in a year." WTF?! That's it??

I cried the whole way home and on and off for the next four hours.
Print

No comments:

Post a Comment